Increased sales have spurred Powerball officials to increase the estimated jackpot for tomorrow’s drawing from $245 to $250 million—that’s one-quarter of a billion dollars!
“Retailers are bustling, players are enthusiastic and it is all for wonderful causes,” said Rebecca Hargrove, Chair of the Powerball Group and President and CEO of the Tennessee Lottery.
“We haven’t seen this size of jackpot in some time, and it’s exciting for people to have fun dreaming about a big win while helping the beneficiary programs Powerball helps to fund.”
Details about this Powerball jackpot include:
• The current run began on 7/1/09.
• The estimated $250 million jackpot is the largest since March 15, 2008. That jackpot was $276.3 million when won in West Virginia.
• The $250 million ranks as the 10th largest Powerball jackpot ever won if hit on Wednesday.
• From within all participating Powerball states, there have been 60 winners who have matched all 5 white balls in this run (without the Power Play).
• From within all participating Powerball states, there have been 7 winners of $1 million in this run (Match all 5 white balls with Power Play), including one ticket purchased in Millington, TN.
About the Tennessee Education Lottery
The Tennessee Education Lottery operates entirely from the revenue it generates through the sale of its products. Net proceeds from sales of Lottery tickets, currently averaging over $5 million per week, fund specific education programs, including college scholarships, pre-kindergarten and after-school programs. Since the Tennessee Lottery began selling tickets on Jan. 20, 2004, it has raised more than $1.4 billion for these programs, and returned to Tennessee communities more than $3.2 billion in prizes and more than $357.4 million in retailer commissions. For more information, please visit www.tnlottery.com. For information about Lottery-funded scholarships, visit www.collegepaystn.com.
Return to Newsroom